Follow Me:

First Impressions for ‘On Point’

0

The On Point Quilt kit arrived a few days ago, and has been sitting on my cutting table taunting me… tempting me to break it open even though I have so many other things I should be working on instead. Last night though, I found myself sitting in my sewing room with no motivation to work on any projects and somehow I kept finding myself looking over at this kit. What could it hurt to just open it up and see what I had to work with?

The pattern was made by Sew Fresh Quilts, and FatQuarterShop.com kitted it up using the same solids she had used in her example quilt. I am guessing there was a little bit of a disconnect between the two (or more) minds behind putting the kit together though, because the pattern has all the fabric listed by name and the kit has a separate sheet listing all the fabric by number code with a little printed color swatch. The fabric itself, of course, had no markings to indicate what was what and some of the colors are pretty similar. On seeing this my first (sardonic) thought was, “Oh wow, figuring out what color is what will sure be fun.”

I assigned a letter to each printed fabric swatch and code on the sheet from the kit, then pulled out my trusty alphabetic pins and got to work. First, I googled the fabric color codes to find their names and jotted those down on the sheet along side their codes. Once I had figured out what color name matched up to each code, I pulled out the pattern and compared its color list with the stack of fabric and the list I had just googled… luckily, the fabric in the kit and both lists were all in the same order! Now, if they had only told me this somewhere it would have saved me a little time and anxiety, but it all worked out and was much less of a pain in the arse than I had first anticipated.

At this point I still wasn’t wanting to work on any of the other projects I already have in progress, and I was pretty tired… so what could it hurt to just do a little cutting and then call it a night? The pattern basically separates the colors into three groups for cutting; the black, white, and grays are a different matter. What the pattern doesn’t do is break down the cutting instructions to make it easier, at least not for the colors. The color blocks just had a list of the size and number of squares needed, while the white and grays had the more friendly instructions like, “cut a X inch strip and then subcut into X number of X inch squares…”. This meant I had to do a quick bit of math in my head to know the best way to tackle cutting the colors… again, not hard, but slightly annoying.

In the end I was able to cut all of the first color group last night, which was the largest of the three. If I am remembering the numbers correctly, it was half (7 of 14) of the colors. I also cut the one black fat quarter as well, but it really seems like there aren’t enough pieces there. I read it many times over just to make sure I hadn’t missed something, and then decided to just leave it be and see what happens down the road. It looks like only the center of one star uses black, so maybe it is right. I can always cut more later if it isn’t. In fact, I can cut more of all of it later because there is a bunch of left over fabric. I can see why the pattern calls for a full fat quarter… it is just easier to buy a fat quarter cut than it would be to get something between an eighth and a quarter. Still, I might end up with enough left over to make a miniaturized version of this into a lap or baby quilt.

 

[manual_related_posts]
Share.

Leave a Reply